June 24, 2008

there is something you can do

A couple of months ago, a few bloggers that I read went on a trip to Uganda with Compassion. I urge you to click on either of those links (or both) to learn more about the things we can do to help children around the world. But before you go (and please do - especially the blog posts from Uganda - they are life changing), I want to tell you about something. Because of the trip to Uganda, they have started a website - compassionbloggers.com - to generate interest in this world of bloggity goodness about the needs of children worldwide. In addition to sponsoring a child, you can sign up to blog monthly about a critical issue. After hearing of how lives can be changed with just a little effort on my part, I felt compelled to sign up.

Compassion has set up a Day of Prayer and Fasting on June 25th for those affected by the Global Food Crisis. I don't think that most Americans realize the extent of poverty and hunger in the world. It's way easier to just continue consuming at will and turn a blind eye. But the fact of the matter is, there are people in the world who go to bed hungry. While we buy new cars and complain about filling up our oversized gas tanks, these people spend the majority of their entire budget on food. I look at my son and realize that he has no idea how lucky he is. The momma heart in me cries out to these families whose children must suffer. I hurt for the moms and dads who must look their children in the eyes and say I'm sorry but there is no food tonight. We complain about the extra pounds that we have on our bodies and instead we should be thankful that we were able to have dinner tonight.

If God has laid this same burden on your heart, I invite you to go to the links in this post and look around. There are people out there helping and they could use your help. Pray about it. See where God wants you to step in. It might be praying. It might be giving to the Global Food Crisis Fund. Did you know $13 can feed a child for ONE MONTH? Or maybe it will even be sponsoring a child so that they are able to thrive and grow and most importantly, learn about Jesus Christ. Whatever it is, no matter how big or small, do something. We are so blessed. How can we not do more?

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

0 rays through the fog:

 
design by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com